Detroit AES section Meeting December 4, 2018
25 people attended
- David Prince welcome everyone and reviewed the meeting agenda
- Self-introductions of each atendee (25 total)
- Pat Dennis presentation on COMSOL
- objective and subjective quantification for using COMSOL
- presented examples of loudspeker modeling
- presented and example of packaging a Bluetooth microphone (before & after optimization)
- presented an example of structural mechanics (a mounting bracket)
- COMSOL HW & SW resources cost about $30K
- For COMSOL training; AltaSIM in Ohio
- Conclusion: Good virtual engineering playground, affordable and ease of use.
David Prince presentation: COMSOL (and FEA in general) ... practical examples
- 1st Generation
- 1993-96 David was a Master student at Penn St. (member of the 1st graduating class in Acoustics)
- 1997-99 worked at Jensen and continued learing about FEA in acoustics (working with Bob True)
- 1999-05: Worked at True Technologies simulating lineaer and non-linear models of cones, spiders, motors and panels.
- 2nd Generation
- David starting using COMSOL at Knowles Electronics refining the designs of Hearing Aids
- 3rd Generation
- Working at Community Sound (pro audio) developing phase plugs & horns via COMSOL simulations
- PSS - cone, motor and spider designs.
COMSOL works great for Material Property Analysis
Question & Answer period
Meeting concluded at 8:30pm
Meeting Topic: Formative Meeting and Headphone Study
Moderator Name: Rodney Garman, Engineering Manager, Premium Sound Solutions
Speaker Name: Dr. Sean Olive, Acoustic Research Fellow, Harman International
Meeting Location: 30001 Cabot Drive, Novi
Roundtable introductions from all attendees
Venue sponsor: Harman, refreshment sponsor: Premium Sound Solutions
Rodney Garman held a formative meeting with the intention of re-establishing the Detroit section. Initial officer candidates were presented for each position.
Chair: Dave Prince
Vice-Chair: Kevin Bastyr
Secretary: Rodney Garman
Treasurer: Pat Dennis
Web / Communications: Kurt Tischer
Committee: Mitchell Graham, Jesse Gratke, Earl Geddes, Linda Lee, John Malek, Mark Jay, Matt Ruhlen, Todd Rockwell
Attendees offerred ideas for meeting facilities, speaker/presenters, and tour venues. Discussed potential outreach session for local students to engage with the audio community in an around Detroit. Reviewed finance status of self-funding and referenced several section websites with good sponsorship examples.
Speaker Shawn Olive presented study on headphones, with detailed listener comparisons. The study drew the conclusion that there was very weak correllation between On/Over-headphone type price and sound quality. There was somewhat better correlation between price and sound quality with in-ear headphones. Also reviewed correllations between Dr. Olive’s findings and several other prominent headphone review resources.